Redman finishes ride 5 years later

$17 million Southbank Riverwalk now open


  • By
  • | 12:00 p.m. February 27, 2015
  • | 5 Free Articles Remaining!
City Council President Clay Yarborough and Mayor Alvin Brown lead the first tour Thursday of the newly renovated Southbank Riverwalk. The $17 million project replaced a rotting wooden boardwalk with concrete and pavers, and includes several other upgr...
City Council President Clay Yarborough and Mayor Alvin Brown lead the first tour Thursday of the newly renovated Southbank Riverwalk. The $17 million project replaced a rotting wooden boardwalk with concrete and pavers, and includes several other upgr...
  • News
  • Share

Don Redman had waited more than five years to bike across the Southbank Riverwalk.

Thanksgiving Day 2009 was the last time he tried.

It didn’t end well.

At a spot near the Duval County School Board building, the old wooden planks were slick. The City Council member had an accident, badly breaking his leg.

Before that day, Redman — whose district includes that part of the riverwalk — said he didn’t favor replacing the Downtown boardwalk. The city, like the rest of the country, was in the midst of a recession and funds weren’t easy to come by for such a massive undertaking.

In a hospital bed later in the day, he received a phone call. Mayor John Peyton was on the other end and, after a greeting, asked him a question: Are you ready to get the riverwalk done?

“I’m ready,” Redman recalled Thursday.

More than five years later, it’s done.

Redman, Mayor Alvin Brown and a host of other council members and officials stood on the new $17 million concrete structure, announcing its features and talking about how the boardwalk will be an attraction to Jacksonville residents and visitors.

At almost three quarters of a mile long, the new structure is definitely an upgrade over the one built in 1985.

Concrete and pavers replace the rotting wooden planks. Sail shades will provide some relief during the hotter months. Benches are available throughout the 4,000-foot stretch.

In addition, there are two floating docks, two slips for dinner cruise ships, an interactive Navy memorial and lighting throughout.

Brown said the investment was part of 2015 being the “Year of the River” and lauded the potential the riverwalk has to add to a growing Downtown.

Redman said the project took longer than he would have liked. He also wished stretches of it were wider to allow for more pedestrian and bike traffic.

But, having the project completed was his No. 1 priority before leaving office June 30. He said Brown made that happen despite delays associated with having the riverfront landowners signing off on the project.

Initially the project was budgeted for $15 million, but that wasn’t enough to complete it. Council members last year showed their disdain with the decision, ultimately approving another $2 million to have it done in its entirety.

Council member John Crescimbeni was one who led the questioning as to why the project wasn’t done completely from the start. On Thursday, he said the end result is one that could give Jacksonville the type of attraction Baltimore has with its Inner Harbor.

After a ribbon-cutting ceremony, Brown and council members led the first tour of the new amenity. Redman wasn’t up front, but instead slowly peddled along on his bike.

Once the crowds dispersed around the Navy memorial, Redman continued west toward the school board building, taking it all in.

About the spot where he had his accident, he stopped to talk for a few minutes. Runners, walkers, people with strollers and dogs already were taking advantage.

And before long, Redman was ready to do the same in full.

“All right, I’m off,” he said.

Back west he headed, finishing the ill-fated trip he started years ago. This time, successfully.

[email protected]

@writerchapman

(904) 356-2466

 

Sponsored Content

×

Special Offer: $5 for 2 Months!

Your free article limit has been reached this month.
Subscribe now for unlimited digital access to our award-winning business news.