• The Main Street America Group appointed Bruce Fox as general counsel. Fox has been a corporate counsel at the regional property and casualty insurance carrier since 2007. He will report to Main Street America Chair, President and CEO Tom Van Berkel and will be a member of the company’s senior management team. Fox will be based at Main Street America’s corporate headquarters in Jacksonville.
• The Women’s Center of Jacksonville debuts its “Women, Words and Wisdom” speaker series Feb. 1 with former U.S. Ambassador Nancy Soderberg. Retired Rear Adm. Marsha “Marty” Evans will speak March 22 and Jacksonville community leader Gertrude Peele will speak May 10. The series is at Theatre Jacksonville in San Marco. Lectures start with a reception at 5:30 p.m. followed by the program at 6:30 p.m. Ticket prices are $40 for each event or $100 for all three. For information, visit www.womenscenterofjax.org.
• NPR correspondent and legal affairs correspondent Nina Totenburg is scheduled as keynote speaker at the Jacksonville Women’s Network dinner at 6:30 p.m. Feb. 10 at the Marriott Southpoint. Cost is $35 a person. For questions, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The City’s Public Service Grant Council will experience a change as City Council appointee Ron Mallett has chosen not to serve another term. Geoff Youngblood, a local businessman who recently served on the Charter Revision Commission, has applied to fill the seat. City Council will review and vote on the appointment.
• The Orange Park Mall will host a Small Business Expo Tour from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Jan. 29. Small business counselors from participating organizations, such as the U.S. Small Business Administration, the Small Business Development Center and the Service Corps of Retired Executives, will provide advice and general education for prospective business owners. Workshops start at 11 a.m. The event is free to attend.
• The Jacksonville Suns announced that Andrew Barkett will join the Florida Marlins organization to manage the Suns in 2011. He enters his fifth season as a Minor League manager. He saw 17 games in the Majors with the Pittsburgh Pirates in 2001 and amassed 14 hits including one home run and three RBI in 46 at-bats. The Suns are coming off back-to-back Southern League Championships in 2009 and 2010.
• Grubb & Ellis Phoenix Realty Group represented the buyer in the purchase of a 15,478-square-foot building, plus additional acreage, at 9590 Atlantic Blvd. Dan Stover of Grubb & Ellis represented buyer Discovery Properties Inc. Crown Commercial Realty represented the seller, Foundation Holdings I Inc. Discovery Properties is the real estate holding company of the J.D. Byrider used-car sales and financing franchise.
2011 resolution: Peggy JohnsonBoutique owner, speaker
“To actually move into the social media arena for my business. To diversify more efficiently. To prioritize by expending energy in the areas of greatest return. Like all businesses, to cut expenses to the bare bone until things turn around, and they will. To concentrate on my speaking, nationally for my industry and for our Power, Polish and Purpose program for at-risk youth.“